- Overview of DC Traditional Public and Public Charter Schools
- LearnDC School Report Cards and Profiles
- My School DC – charter and DCPS: school profiles and basic statistical profiles
- Orientation to Mentoring Central
On-line tools and services from Mentoring Central for better mentoring results.
- Elements of Effective Practice for Mentoring, 3rd edition
Mentor-mentee matching benchmarks and enhancements from National Mentoring Partnership
- Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community Robert D. Putnam
- Our Kids-the American Dream in Crisis Robert D. Putnam
- Guiding Lights: How to Mentor-and Find Life’s Purpose Eric Liu
- Pedagogy of Confidence Yvette Jackson
- The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates Wes Moore
- Social Change One on One: The New Mentoring Movement
We have powerful evidence that mentoring works. Why aren’t we doing more of it?
- Crumbling American Dreams
Is talk of the American dream becoming a cynical historical fiction?
- The Terrible Loneliness of Growing Up Poor in Robert Putnam’s America
“Poverty isn’t just a form of deprivation; it’s a form of isolation, too.”
- Can Block Clubs Block Despair?
Why do some poor communities fall apart while others cohere? Community organization can help, but up to a point.
- Recreating the ‘Bench Blanket Experiment’
“Having a dialogue with someone is really like a social glue, and it gets us thinking in a different manner.”
- Won’t You Be My Neighbor?
Crossing the invisible lines between our homes and achieving greater unity in the places we live.
- A ‘Circle’ of Support Helps Families Stay Out of Poverty
Giving only enough “strength to be able to move the next week.”; giving that week by week can transform a person’s life.
- In meetings with young black men, Obama tries to leave a mark
Obama’s efforts to transform the symbolism of his presidency into something more personal.
- Closing the Math Gap for Boys
“These students can make remarkable progress when they appreciate that their tutor is in their corner.”
- Forging a Life-Changing Bond
For children at risk, long-term relationships with dedicated mentors make a difference.
- Relationships: The Oxygen of Human Development
Caring adults are vital components in young people’s lives.
- Stanford study: How to encourage men to give to the poor
What can we do to eliminate gender gap on charitable giving?
- A Chance to Go From Hard Lives to Healing
“The young men who are vilified as noncontributing members of society are not the problem, they’re the solution.”
- Fifty years after ‘Bloody Sunday’ march, struggles endure in Selma
Selma “reminds us that the history of America doesn’t belong to one group or another,” but to all of us.
- Who are We? What do We Americans Truly Value?
It’s time to judge our success by the measures of what should be most valued- the well-being of our children and families.
- Over Twenty Percent Youth Joblessness and Still No Apprenticeship?
Expanding apprenticeships as a viable alternative to solving widespread youth unemployment.