Volunteers are at the heart of DC Tutoring and Mentoring Initiative. Strengthening and empowering youth by creating one-on-one relationships results in changing the lives of both the student and the tutor/ mentor. Ultimately, this wholly and authentically transforms communities.
Sign up as a tutor or a mentor to support DC youth in need, and see the impact you can have on your community.
*Sign up here to volunteer.
We can help your company, organization, or agency be a greater and more visible force for good in DC and a model for communities across the country. There are a number of ways that you can help us make a difference:
- Host a presentation for employees by DCTMI or one of our partners about how employees can get involved as tutors, mentors, or on outreach teams.
- Encourage employees to get involved through newsletters or other material on the need for more community members to get involved and how they can help.
- Support volunteer teams of tutors and mentors by providing transportation or facilitating the commute to a school or tutoring site.
- Permit employees to have a flexible schedule one day of the week so they could volunteer at a local school or other site — especially during the school day or from 3-5 pm when many of our partners work with kids after school.
- Give paid volunteer time or time off to employees or other types of support/incentives. (The consulting firm Deloitte, for example, gives its employees up to 48 hours a year for volunteering.)
To learn more about the benefits of corporate volunteering for your organization and employees, visit the following sites:
Corporate Institute Resources
The Case Foundation
Life at Deloitte
Why Volunteering Is Good for your Business
UnitedHealth Group: Doing Good is Good for You
The Impact of Corporate Sustainability on Organizational Processes and Performance